Monday, October 21, 2013

Midwife, Husband Doula, and Water - fun combo right?

Saw my Midwife last Monday.  Her name is Hope which I truly believe is a good sign of the positive experience to come.  The birth of my first little girl wasn't exactly my ideal.  My birth plan wasn't exactly followed and I had to argue with nurses and staff to avoid an unnecessary c-section.  My husband was the saving grace who helped me stand my ground and push, literally, to birth Leena-Deen the good old fashioned way.

I've explained my first birth story to Hope and my interest in having a doula (nonmedical person who assists a woman before, during, or after childbirth, as well as her partner and/or family, by providing information, physical assistance, and emotional support ~ Wikipedia). 

Hope then recommended that my husband and I look into the Bradley method this time around which focuses on husband coached birthing.  To be honest, my if you know my husband, you'll understand that that he doesn't need any method, class, or lesson to ward of scalpel -hungry doctors and impatient nurses.  He's tough yet sweet and beautifully protective of me and our daughter, so I think he'll be perfect as my labor support this time around.

We're also going to have a water birth.  I thought it best to use the water as meditative pain relief during labor.  After all, I'm a Pisces and love water, so this is probably the best place for me to be.  Why didn't I think of doing this before!?!? Me and hubby have to go check out the birth center and do a quick tour of the birthing tub/pool.  I'll keep you posted on how that goes.  If you are curious about water birth, check out: http://www.waterbirth.org/

water birth figurine - Bellyrinas - etsy.com


Dominique Healthy Parenting Tip - while books, manuals,  classes, and Google searches are widely helpful, also remember the natural human survival instinct we all have.  I'll bring up hunter-gather case here.  It argues that men are wired to go, collect, and get back home.  This is why they apparently like strippers and why they don't like prolonged shopping or other more thorough processes.  Women might be more interested in the totality of an experience and while generally more efficient, they are more observant, thorough and can make best use of what they have around them.  So with that said, I'll be centered and focused on my surroundings during birth while my husband goes to get me what I need, fights off unwanted intervention, and helps me and our soon to be new born make our natural transition to new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment