Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Grandma's Eating Her Veggies!

For the past three weeks, my mother who just turned 64 last Friday, has been following a vegan, gluten-free diet.  This all started when I scolded her for having so many processed diet snack foods in her pantry.  All this "fake" food was gross, and she's been eating it for years.  My mother is not overweight.  She never has been, but I think she's been eating this low calorie foods to stay that way.  She has a petite frame and I can't imagine that she'd ever really pack on too much weight.  My main concern was that the processed foods were full of artificial sweeteners, high levels of sodium, and other chemicals and preservatives that could't possibly be good for long term consumption.  So I put my healthy parent cap on and sat her down to school her on some of the benefits of natural and homemade foods as well healthy alternatives she could buy at the store.  I told her her that some of her mild health problems would probably improve by simply making these changes in her diet.

Well, my mother, who shall I say is a bit dramatic, took all of this to heart, and has been following a strict vegan and gluten-free diet for nearly a month and plans to continue to do so.  I'm proud of her, but I don't want her to get bored eating the same organic beans, brown rice, and salad combo everyday.  If that happens, she might be tempted to consume some of the junk in the fast food places in her neighborhood.

So to spice things up, I've made her some yummy options to indulge in.  All are vegan and some are gluten-free.

For her birthday I made her a vegan, gluten-free double layer chocolate cake (recipe)

Other snacks and meals I've made are:

vegan, gluten-free peanut butter cookies
black bean tacos with green salsa and tofu sour cream
berry, flaxseed, almond milk smoothie
asian tofu stir fry
vegan pad thai
vegan thai red curry/green curry with brown rice

So my mom is looking good and feeling great!  Stay tuned for more updates on her journey!





No comments:

Post a Comment